CAROLINA LADY JUNIOR HURRICANES
2017-18 Season Program Details
The Carolina Junior Hurricanes/Raleigh Youth Hockey Association (RYHA) is a not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to provide each youth hockey player with the resources and opportunity to reach their full potential. Founded in 1987, RYHA has served the Triangle area for 30 years.
Our program remains highly successful with many players advancing to the highest levels of hockey, including our first alumni drafted in the NHL during 2014. As well, RYHA Girls alumni have graduated at the D1 Girls hockey level, including several now playing in the National Women’s Hockey league and the Canadian Women’s Hockey League. RYHA is also continuously recruiting local women hockey players to coach and mentor with our youth Girls. Most recently, we are pleased to announce the arrival of Corrinne Boyles, a 4 year veteran goaltender from the Boston College Eagles.
The Carolina Junior Hurricanes are excited to introduce its program offerings for the Lady Canes 2017-2018 season. We plan to field 4 teams at the 10U, 12U, 14U and 16U levels. Additional association and program information can be found on our website at www.juniorhurricanes.org.
II. Junior Hurricanes Girls Teams and Coaches
· 10U Girls (2007, 2008 birth years) – Keith Gleason
· 12U Girls (2005, 2006 birth years) – Johnny Powell
· 14U Girls (2003, 2004 birth years) – Andy Haldane
· 16U Girls (2001,2002 birth years) – Mike Young
· May 19-21, 2017 in Wake Forest – Tryout Fee $100
Players will be evaluated through a combination of scrimmage and competitive skills sessions. These may vary by age group depending on head coaches’ preference. There will also be a session specifically for goalies. After the initial scrimmage and skills sessions there may be a cut to narrow the offer of prospective players for the final scrimmage session. Team selections will be made both during the initial sessions as well as from the final scrimmage session by an evaluation committee comprised of coaches and experienced independent evaluators. Players selected for a roster position will be notified by email and then called by the head coach. All roster selections will be finalized the day of the final scrimmage unless otherwise communicated prior to the tryouts.
IV. Player Development (PD)
Player development is the cornerstone of our program. Player development sessions will be conducted by our PD staff and include goalie specific training. Player Development sessions are considered mandatory practices for all levels and will be held weekly for all teams..
V. Practice and Game Formats
All practices are scheduled for 1 hour of on-ice time. Weekly practice counts and formats (shared vs full-ice) vary depending on age group and competitive level. See program summaries for details.
Exhibition games will be scheduled primarily as home-and-home game weekends with two games per weekend. In some cases, we may be able to schedule three games when traveling long distances.
10U Girls – Polar House League – Division TBD
12U Girls – Independent schedule vs appropriate Polar House boys teams and age appropriate 12U Girls teams
14U Girls – National Bound, Independent schedule vs Travel Boys and age appropriate 14U Girls teams
16U Girls – National Bound, Independent schedule vs appropriate competitive Girls teams (16U,19U)
10U Girls – 1 Tournament (Team choice, most Likely Ponytail)
12U Girls – 2 Tournaments (will take advantage of Its Hockey time 2 for 1 to get to 3)
14U Girls - 2 Tournaments (will take advantage of Its Hockey time 2 for 1 to get to 3)
16U Girls – 4 Tournaments (includes Districts)
VIII. Team Fees
· 10U Girls – $1510 (14 players)
· 12U Girls – $2640 (14 players)
· 14U Girls – $2850 (14 players)
· 16U Girls- $2760 (17 players)
· Fees being finalized and subject to change prior to try-out
IX. Team Equipment and Uniforms
· INCLUDED IN TEAM FEES: - Practice jersey, game and practice socks.
· ADDIONAL TO TEAM FEES - Home and Away Carolina Hurricanes replica jerseys ($160), Team Bag ($120), Warm-up jacket and pants ($110), Red Logo Shell ($40) – Total ($430) – Only required to purchase if new to the program. All can be reused for multiple seasons as long they still fit and are in good condition. Red helmet and gloves also required with the exception of goalies and 10U Girls.